Accused Bondi Beach Gunmen Acted Independently and Did Not Preparation in the Philippines, Authorities State.

Law enforcement officials speaking at a media briefing
National law enforcement assert there is lack of proof the accused Bondi gunmen acted as part of a wider terror cell.

The two suspected gunmen who carried out the fatal attack at a Jewish event on Bondi Beach, which claimed 15 lives, appear to have been lone actors, per national law enforcement.

Investigators further stated that the 50-year-old Sajid Akram, and his son Naveed Akram travelled to the Philippines on 1 November. Their travel plans involved arriving in the main city Manila before connecting on the day of arrival to Davao City. The pair returned to Sydney on 29 November.

No Evidence of Planning During Visit

Police indicate the pair did not undergo any form of terrorist coaching or "logistical preparation" during their stay in the Philippines. Preliminary findings from Philippine officials point to they "mostly stayed in" their hotel.

The attack—declared Australia's worst mass shooting since 1996—has been formally declared a terrorist incident.

"We are actively examining the evidence," the commissioner stated, noting that initial reviews indicate that "these individuals are believed to have operated independently."

Australian Federal Police Chief Krissy Barrett told the press on Tuesday that surveillance material showing the alleged gunmen's movements in the Philippines had been submitted to domestic authorities.

"Our investigation shows little to no indication to support the idea these accused individuals were affiliated with a larger organization, or were instructed by external parties to perpetrate an act of violence," Commissioner Barrett said.

But, the pair were likewise not in the Philippines for tourism, the official noted. She emphasized that, as the inquiry is continuing, fresh information could come to light.

Inspiration and Legal Charges

In prior statements, Australian leader Anthony Albanese said it seems both alleged gunmen were "inspired by Islamic State" ideology.

During the incident, Sajid Akram was killed by responding officers. He and his son Naveed—reportedly carrying firearms—allegedly targeted guests at the Jewish festival celebration.

Naveed Akram, who was wounded after the shooting, has been charged with 59 charges. These include 15 counts of murder and one count of carrying out a terrorist act. He is due to face court in April.

Travel Particulars

In the days following the attack, immigration officials in the Philippines stated that the older suspect had arrived in the country using an Indian passport, while his son used an Australian passport.

The duo had listed the southern city of Davao as their intended endpoint. Their booked return flight to Australia was for Sydney.

Davao is a sprawling metropolis on the east of Mindanao, the Philippines' main island in the south. The region is known because, Militant groups have reportedly be active in impoverished parts of central and south-western Mindanao.

Kevin Carroll
Kevin Carroll

Lena is a financial analyst specializing in blockchain technology and cryptocurrency markets, with over 8 years of trading experience.